Most of us enjoy an extra day off work, but do you know why we get this day off?
It’s that time of year when families get together and gather up the family for a backyard barbecue. Many consider Memorial Day to be the unofficial start of the summer. Enjoy these eight facts about Memorial Day as you prepare to celebrate.
- One of the first observances took place on May 1, 1865.
- Memorial Day started in the South to honor the sacrifices of Civil War soldiers.
- It was originally called Decoration Day prior to becoming called Memorial Day legally in 1967.
- Each year various sporting events take place on memorial day including the NBA playoffs, the French Open and Stanley Cup Final.
- Now, Memorial Day is a day to remember the lives of all military members that died during service.
- Memorial Day falls on the last Monday of May.
- Many travel to national and local cemeteries to decorate soldier’s graves with U.S. flags.
- A national moment of remembrance takes place at 3:00 pm local time on Memorial Day. Everyone is asked to stop for a moment of prayer.
So as you go out and party in the yard or on the lakes and waterways of this great country, take a minute to remember and thank all who gave their lives for the freedoms we enjoy today. For a list of things to enjoy click here. For our veterans, make sure to check out this list of everyday deals that are available to you.
with The East Texas Weekend