It’s one of the most popular mixed drinks out there. You can find them with all sorts of flavors but the original is still far and away the most popular. Next time you order some margaritas, remember these crazy facts about the drink.
Facts you might not know about margaritas…
1. There are a number of claims as to the origin of the margarita. We found evidence of the drink being invented in 1930, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1942, and 1948.
2. Several places lay claim to the origin of margarita including Acapulco, Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez, Galveston and Britain (known as the Picador in 1937).
3. Margarita is Spanish for Daisy. Although the name of the drink could be for actress and dancer Margarita Carmen Cansino, better know as Rita Hayworth.
4. Frozen margaritas came about in the late 1940s and the first frozen margarita machine came into being in 1971 at Mariano’s Mexican Restaurant in Dallas. The first machine now resides in the Smithsonian Museum of American History.
5. The official recipe by the International Bartenders Association is 50 ml Tequila (100% Agave), 20 ml Triple Sec and 15 ml Freshly squeezed lime juice. Mix the ingredients in a shaker filled with ice. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Optionally, garnish the glass with half salt rim before pouring the drink.
6. Substitute vodka for the tequila and you get a Kamikaze. Substitute brandy for tequila and you get a Daisy.
7. What type of limes makes a difference. In Mexico, they use more key limes than we do in the United States because they are a bit more tart and bitter.
8. The margarita glass is a variant of a champagne coupe and is best for blended fruit margaritas. Regular glass also work for margaritas.
9. The possibilities are endless by substituting flavored tequila and flavored liqueurs. Check out these ten varieties.
COPYRIGHT 2021, GRAY MEDIA GROUP, INC.