An East Texas oasis!
COVID-19 UPDATE: Los Pinos Ranch Vineyards is currently open…but under a few restrictions due to COVID-19 pandemic.
Their restaurant is open at 50% capacity, and it’s first-come first-served. Only members of their wine club are allowed to make reservations.
At this time, they’re also offering discounts on featured bottles of wine.
Los Pinos Ranch Vineyards is a winery, restaurant, tasting room and East Texas oasis located in Pittsburg, Texas.
Los Pinos Vineyards & Winery
Grapes were first planted at the Los Pinos Ranch Vineyard in Pittsburg in 2000. So for over a decade, Los Pinos has been making a variety of wine from grapes grown in vineyards both on their estate and their vineyards in West Texas.
“We have 17 acres here in Pittsburg where we grow our Blanc Du Bois and Black Spanish/Lenior grapes,” said Lesa Jones, Marketing & Wine Club Director at Los Pinos. “We also have about 60 acres in the Texas High Plains where we grow some more traditional varietals like Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese, Tempranillo and even Pinot Noir.”
Their different types of wines fall into 5 different categories: Sweet Whites & Blush Wines, Sweet Red Wines, Dry White Wines, Dry Red & Rose Wines and Dessert Wines.
“Whether you’re a beginner or whether you’re an expert and you’ve been drinking wine for years and years we definitely have something [at Los Pinos] to get you interested in wine on some level,” said Jones. “I think that wine can be a little intimidating to some people, but we like to have fun. Our whole line of sweet wines have really fun, whimsical labels and I think if you look at those you can see that we’re striving to keep it lighthearted and fun and not so serious.”
Here are some of their wines:
Sweet White & Blush Wines:
- Blanc du Bois: Crafted in a French style, this American sweet white wine hybrid is one of the signature varietals grown on their estate vineyards in the Piney Woods of East Texas and mimics Riesling.
- Colibrí: Estate grown Blanc Du Bois & Black Spanish grapes combine to make a semi-sweet divine blush wine.
- Pinky Tuscandero: Their Pinky Tuscandero is an American White Zinfandel with flavors of sweet cherries and orange zest.
- Moscato: A sweet white wine from the Texas High Plains with profound floral aromas on the nose and finish.
- Rosie the Riverter: A sweet rosé wine with flavors of rose petals and pairs well with any type of cuisine.
Sweet Red Wines:
- All My X’s Sweet red wine that’s 100% pure Texas!
- Sweet Rodeo Red: This sweet red wine pairs well with all things Texas!
Dry White Wines:
- Blanco Grande: Estate grown dry white wine that’s crafted in a French style that mimics Sauvignon Blanc. This Texas white wine hybrid is one of the signature varietals grown on their estate vineyards in the Piney Woods of East Texas.
Dry Red & Rose Wines:
- Texican: Texas High Plains spicy pepper oak and dry red blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Sangiovese.
- Collage: Collage is a blend of 3 Bordeaux red grape varietals: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot.
- Sangiovese: Chianti-style, bold, spicy red wine grown in the Texas High Plains.
- Rosato: A spicy dry rosé wine blend of Tempranillo, Sangiovese and Pinot Noir from the Texas High Plains.
- Cabernet Sauvignon: Limited release smooth, soft tannins from the Texas High Plains
- Montepulciano: An Italian varietal grown in the Texas High Plains with soft, well-rounded tannins and a smooth finish.
- Besitos de Chocolate: A dessert wine rich with chocolate and strawberry flavors.
- Texas Torte Lenoir Dessert Wine: Tawny-style port wine fortified with brandy and bottled in a rare-find ceramic bottle with a flip top.
Los Pinos Restaurant
“Beyond the winery we also have a restaurant that’s open Friday, Saturday and Sunday,” said Jones. “We serve tapas, wood-fired pizzas and other items. We also do weekly specials, usually a pasta special and then some kind of entree.”
You can order all of the Los Pinos’ wines at the restaurant, either by the bottle or by the glass.
The restaurant has both indoor and outdoor seating, and the outdoor patio seating overlooks the vineyards.
“We do live music on the patio on Friday’s and Saturday’s,” said Jones. “Our restaurant is family-friendly and our patio is dog-friendly.”
Tasting Room & Gift Shop
Located adjacent to the restaurant is The Trunk Tasting Room and Gift Shop.
The gift shop includes Los Pinos merchandise as well as other wine-inspired items.
You can also try all of the Los Pinos wine varieties.
La Famiglia Wine Club
The La Famiglia Wine Club is a way Los Pinos offers guests to sample different wines throughout the year with discounts. Members of the wine club are also invited to exclusive special events.
There are three levels of the wine club: Amici, II Barone, and Maestro di Vino.
The Amici level features the option to receive three bottles of wine 4 times of the year, and a 10% discount on wine purchases.
The II Barone level features six bottles of wine bottles 4 times of year, and a 15% discount on wine purchases.
The Maestro de Vino level features one case of wine, 4 times of year, and a 20% discount on wine purchases.
Los Pinos’ Cellar Master will make the selections for each wine club shipment, but members will have the opportunity to experience some standard vintages as well as some new ones throughout the year.
Los Pinos will mail your bottles to you each time, but if you want to avoid the shipping cost you can pick them up in person and enjoy a party with other wine club members.
Shipment months are February, April, October and December.
The Tuscan Cottage
“Something else we have is a cottage on-site,” said Jones. “It’s available for overnight rentals so [Los Pinos] really is a destination. A lot of people come out and spend an entire weekend, whether it’s a group of girlfriends or a romantic getaway.”
The cottage, positioned in the vineyards, sleeps two and has a private porch that overlooks the vineyards with neighboring options just across the vineyard fence line and around the bend.
Los Pinos in Fredricksburg
In May 2019, Los Pinos opened a new tasting room in Fredricksburg, Texas.
“Fredricksburg is becoming one of the fastest growing wine tourism regions in the country and there’s a lot of people going down there to visit,” said Jones. “[Our location] is more of a traditional tasting room. It doesn’t have a restaurant, but we do sell our merchandise and our wine either by the glass or the bottle.”
The Fredricksburg location also offers guests private seated tastings.
Seated tasting themes to choose from are the Texas Palate, the How Wine Works, and the Tongue Map. You can learn more about the seated tastings here.
Los Pinos Ranch Vineyards is located at 658 County Road 1334 in Pittsburg.
Their restaurant hours are Fridays from 4 p.m. – 10 p.m., Saturday from 12 p.m. – 10 p.m. and Sundays from 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Their Fredricksburg Tasting Room is located at 6009 East US Hwy 290.
The tasting room hours at their Fredricksburg location are from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday – Friday, and 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. on Sunday.
Stay up to date on all things The East Texas Weekend!
Learn more about the Piney Woods Wine Trail: