McDonald’s Shamrock Shake is returning on February 19th to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the legendary treat.
This year, customers have two different ways to enjoy the craveable Shamrock taste they know and love — how lucky is that? McDonald’s is taking the Shamrock Shake® nationwide for the first time since 2017 and introducing the new OREO® Shamrock McFlurry® for a limited time.
The one and only Shamrock Shake features creamy, vanilla soft serve blended with our unmistakable Shamrock flavor and topped with a whipped topping for a delicious minty treat.
The new OREO Shamrock McFlurry is a twist on a fan-favorite, featuring creamy, vanilla soft serve with their unmistakable Shamrock flavor and OREO® cookie pieces blended throughout for a delicious minty-chocolaty dessert that super fans and new fans alike can enjoy.
“We’re excited to serve up a new way to experience the one-of-a-kind Shamrock flavor in our new OREO Shamrock McFlurr,” said McDonald’s Vice President of Menu Innovation, Linda VanGosen. “Our chefs worked to get the perfect balance of OREO cookies and mint for this new delicious dessert. We can’t wait for customers to get a taste this spring.”
Shamrock enthusiasts can experience the luck of the 50th Shamrock Season at McDonald’s starting February 19th at all participating restaurants nationwide for a limited time.
“Every year customers eagerly await the return of the Shamrock Shake — and over the past five decades, getting a sip of this green legend has become a seasonal tradition for many,” said McDonald’s Archivist Mike Bullington. “The shake’s unique history and wide spread passion for this menu item has qualified the Shamrock Shake as a beloved cultural icon. We feel lucky to have such dedicated Shamrock fanatics, and hope to continue the legacy of this legendary treat for many more years to come.”
Here are 10 Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About The Shamrock Shake:
- The Shamrock Shake® was created in 1967 by Hal Rosen, a Connecticut McDonald’s Owner and Operator who made the delicious, mint shake in celebration of St. Patrick’s Day. It debuted nationally in 1970 and was an instant success across the country.
- In 1974, sales from the shake helped to build the very first Ronald McDonald House in Philadelphia. The mission began when the daughter of a Philadelphia Eagles player was being treated for Leukemia. Together with a local McDonald’s Owner and Operator Hal Rosen, McDonald’s founder Ray Kroc, the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Eagles, the family raised enough funds through Shamrock Shake sales to help open the first Ronald McDonald House as a way to keep families close during difficult times. Today, Ronald McDonald House Charities® (RMHC®) continues to keep millions of families with sick children near the care and resources they need all over the world through a network of local Chapters and over 1,000 core programs.
- Giving fans another way to enjoy the classic Shamrock Shake flavor, McDonald’s introduced the “Shamrock Sundae” for a limited time in 1980, consisting of vanilla soft serve topped with a mint-green Shamrock syrup.
- On St. Patrick’s Day in 2010, Shamrock Season was bigger than ever as the “World’s Largest Shamrock Shake” was “poured” into the Chicago River in honor of a $10,000 donation to develop a new RMHC house in the city of Chicago’s Streeterville neighborhood. The shake was 24 feet tall.
- Following years of Shamrock Shake fandom, the iconic shake went nationwide for the first time in 2012, giving cult-followers something to celebrate.
- When chocolate was added to the Shamrock Shake for a limited time in 2017 nationally, McDonald’s changed the world (of shake-drinking) with a limited-edition straw designed by a team of aerospace and robotic engineers. The revolutionary STRAW offered the most-scientifically-ideal way to enjoy the Chocolate Shamrock Shake, delivering 50% chocolate and 50% mint in each sip.
- Given the special ties of the Shamrock Shake to the Philadelphia Eagles and RMHC, participating restaurants in Philadelphia offered the menu item twice in 2019: once during the regular Shamrock Season, and once to commemorate the beginning of the NFL season in September.
- Before the Shamrock Shake went national, fanatics created a website to track down which lucky restaurants offered the menu item. In 2018, McDonald’s made it even easier for fans with the McDonald’s Finder App – an official mobile directory of every Shamrock Shake-serving restaurant in the US.
- Love for the Shamrock Shake crosses borders! In addition to being a seasonal U.S. favorite, the Shamrock Shake will be sold in both Canada and Ireland in 2020.
- In 2020, McDonald’s is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Shamrock Shake by taking the legendary treat national for the first time since 2017 and introducing a new twist on the fan favorite: the OREO® Shamrock McFlurry®.
Stay up to date on all things The East Texas Weekend!